Saturday, October 11, 2014

Prodigal God

Finally getting out of this town
Tired of the work I gotta put in
Dad's got the money anyhow
Why can't I just get it now?
Compliments always headed my way
Always doing what Daddy wants me to do
Gotta make myself look good
Eventually I'll rule this hood
Now I got my money
My friends and the fame
Need a dollar? Heck, here's a ten
Next I'm gonna own Big Ben
The good for nothin' is gone
Now I got so much more work to do
Didn't he ever think about me?
Oh yeah, Dad is crying, too. 
I've squandered it all 
Every last penny
Feedin' slop to the pigs
Will I ever get any?
Dad keeps buggin' me
Go save your brother!
Why, why should I?
All that's yours will eventually be mine
I'm gonna go back
I'll toil and slave
Work like a dog for my father
I promise I won't be a bother
Why can't Dad just leave?
Won't he please die?
I want what is rightfully mine
I hate having to bide my time
He runs to me! 
I've never seen that before
Enveloped in a deep hug
So in love, he seems high on a drug
Haven't we done enough for him?
He already took his part of the wealth!
Now he gets father's robe, his fattened calf?
I've been here, putting in time and a half!
Welcomed, accepted
Gave me a home
Recognize my father and his great love
Pleased to be his perfect, white dove
Wait, he's in the family again?
Stealing a part of my wealth?
I won't partake in this, I won't submit
I will stand out here and throw a fit!

My sons, each of you I want
Don't you see I have given all for you?
Whatever you asked, I gave it
At great cost and pain
Not only to me, but to the other, too
You ran away from me, but
Your duty won't bring you closer to me
Each caused the other pain
Now recognize your misplaced love
 let me lavish my all on you

I am a prodigal father
I spent until I had nothing left
Recklessly spendthrift as I love you
You, who nailed me to a cross
A reckless grace I have shown you
You did nothing
have nothing
Ran to those less worthy than me
Yet I choose to be in love with you
Are you ready to love me?


No comments:

Post a Comment