Wednesday, July 8, 2015

One Last Bag of Viva

Viva is one of my favorite foods. The trouble? This delicious cereal (though I eat it like candy) is only available in Europe, specifically purchased by me in Romania. When I went almost a year ago, I brought home something like 12 bags of this heaven on earth. A day or two would go by, and I'd eat some more. Share it with friends or give it to my fellow Romania travelers, having already run out of their stash. Slowly, my pile decreased, until only one bag of chocolaty goodness remained.

I remember thinking I would use it to celebrate. Something. Maybe I'd open it at new year's, but that passed by with me wanting to have it on the day I left for Africa instead. Then, I thought, this bag will taste even better if I waited until I got HOME from Africa, as that'd be a great accomplishment. Upon coming home, though, I pushed off the award for something else. And then other events would pass by, and I always would put the bag away, thinking the next accomplishment would be truly worth the prize.

Having brought the bag with me to camp, I thought I would use it to celebrate the first successful week with campers. The week passed by, and I decided I would enjoy my last bag on a rainy day, as a pick me up instead, as a reward of having made it through a day I struggled.

As days have passed, some more stressful then others, others more stressful than that, the bag lays in my secret food stash. Every night, I justify myself in why I could open my last bag of Viva. This happened, this broke, I'm sick, I'm grieving.... but each night, I remembered how I made it through, and how days will be better. How this honestly was not the worst day ever, and how more things could have gone wrong, but didn't. I remember the little joys, of a baby held or the face on my staff when they learn a new skill. So I put the bag away, close the chapter of the day, and look forward to the sunrise of a new story, with some new adventure.

Although, at the end of this summer... I better enjoy the bag of Viva before what was fantastic turns into a stomach ache :)

No comments:

Post a Comment