Monday, November 3, 2014

Creative Glory

I am an INFJ.

Introvert, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging.

Being an academic thinker, wanting black and white reasoning, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong in seemingly every relationship/friendship I had, this answer helped tremendously.

Favorite world: Do you prefer to focus on the outer world or on your own inner world?

Introvert: I need my space! I saw that my need for alone time, to recoup by myself (typically with music or a book) is perfectly okay! During Go Conference, I had no alone time. By the last day, I was completely emotional and randomly crying for apparently no reason. Gee... maybe I need my introvert time. So this last week, I made and demanded time for myself. Not in a mean way, but just in a way respecting my boundaries, knowing what is best for me and those around me. This is in opposite to Extrovert, the type of people who recharge and get their energy from being around people.

Information: Do you prefer to focus on the basic information you take in or do you prefer to interpret and add meaning?

Intuitive: This one is a little harder to explain, because I am beginning to understand it. Myer's Briggs Foundation defines it as "Paying the most attention to impressions or the meaning and patterns of the information I get. I would rather learn by thinking a problem through than by hands-on experience. I'm interested in new things and what might be possible, so that I think more about the future than the past. I like to work with symbols or abstract theories, even if I don't know how I will use them. I remember events more as an impression of what it was like than as actual facts or details of what happened." I completely agree! Counter to this is Sensing, which is "Paying attention to physical reality, what I see, hear, touch, taste, and smell. I'm concerned with what is actual, present, current, and real. I notice facts and I remember details that are important to me. I like to see the practical use of things and learn best when I see how to use what I'm learning. Experience speaks to me louder than words." I haven't quite seen the implications of this, but I am excited to learn more!

Decisions: When making decisions, do you prefer to first look at logic and consistency or first look at the people and special circumstances? ((Note: Thinking does not mean intelligence, just as feeling does not mean emotions))

Feeling: So far, this aspect has been what solved so many of the issues I was having. As I think about it, too, this along with intuitive did cause the issues. I would read between the lines, see the meaning behind the actual words said, and look at who was saying them in what circumstances. I would put more weight in my decisions based on personal concerns and people involved. Several of my friends are Thinking, where they analyze pros and cons and would rather be consistent and logical instead of worrying about values or what's best for the people involved. Whereas thinkers are impersonal, not allowing there own wishes or others influence them, I am wanting to establish and maintain harmony.
Because of this personality trait, I don't always make myself clear to others because I am worried about their feelings. Or, with my thinking friends, I would assume they knew I was upset because of what they had told me, when they really thought I was okay based on how the conversation went, forgetting what the implications of that truth may be.  Now that I have this figured out, I can communicate clearly with my thinking friends so neither of us end up hurt or confused.

Structure: In dealing with the outside world, do you prefer to get things decided or do you prefer to stay open to new information and options? Do you prefer a more structured and decided lifestyle (Judging) or a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle (Perceiving)?

Judging: Because this is one of the more complicated ones, I will again copy information direct from Myer's-Briggs. Its complicated because of this concept: The J or P preference only tells which preference the person extraverts. One person may feel very orderly/structured (J) on the inside, yet their outer life looks spontaneous and adaptable (P). Another person may feel very curious and open-ended (P) in their inner world, yet their outer life looks more structured or decided (J). This next definition of Judging describes me perfectly: I use my decision-making (Judging) preference (whether it is Thinking or Feeling) in my outer life. To others, I seem to prefer a planned or orderly way of life, like to have things settled and organized, feel more comfortable when decisions are made, and like to bring life under control as much as possible. Since this pair only describes what I prefer in the outer world, I may, inside, feel flexible and open to new information (which I am). Also, don't confuse Judging with judgmental, in its negative sense about people and events. They are not related.

As I study these more, even in just writing this, I am amazed in how simple, yet complex God created us. We all fit into one of 16 Myer's-Briggs personality types, some to different degrees than others. I saw how I am and how I am to relate to others, as well as be more loving to myself and those around me as I learn more about them and what makes them feel comfortable.

With that, here's a brief description of how my four letters interact to describe my personality: Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.

Some famous INFJ's:
Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mother Teresa, Nicole Kidman, Jimmy Carter, Mel Gibson, “James Wilson” from House M.D.

As I learn more about personality and how the heart/brain works, I am further glorifying God is His creativity. As I learn more and more, I marvel at how creative our God is. Our differences show us His glory and vast beauty.. I, for one, am so ready to see more as I meet more people and see a completely new culture overseas. I can barely contain my excitement and eagerness!








No comments:

Post a Comment