Tuesday, September 23, 2014

In the Cornfields


Cornfields surround me. I can run the country road, and not encounter any cars. I still hate chickens and can hear the cows moo.

I enjoy the sense of familiarity. My dorm is similar to camp cabins, since there are 16 girls staying in one room. We also eat meals together, similar to camp style, and we all help out with dishes and keeping the place clean.

We wake up early, for me anyway. Breakfast is around 715, with an hour of devotions after. Then, on some days, worship follows. Right now, worship is casual. There is no stage or sound, just an acoustic guitar and one or two people leading. In the last two sessions, we have all sat on the floor in a circle, but people are free to worship as they feel God leads them to. Many end up standing, or lifting hands. I love the freedom to do as God leads us and the security, as I know it is okay to cry. I am sure, though, that as we get more comfortable with each other, our worship will only strengthen and deepen as we glorify our Lord.

We start classes next week. With every week I am here, I earn one credit for University of the Nations. We have a different speaker and focus each week. Just about every weeknight we have homework. Five required reading books (a couple of chapters each night), a Bible Exploration (I have no idea what this is yet), and on some weeks, there are projects we have to complete that mostly relate to the book we read that week. For example, we are reading “Is That Really You, God?” by Loren Cunningham (YWAM’s founder). For this week’s project, we make a timeline of four events from Loren’s life, followed by an event of our own. Another project is an organizational one, making dividers for our binders so we stay organized during school.

This week has been Orientation Week, so I have not yet experienced the “normal” routine… if there is anything normal! Next week, we have two “normal” days, followed by Survivor Games. I have no idea what this is yet, either. We also have a week where we go to a conference and a week where one focus has camping trip in Arkansas. Therefore, I am not quite sure normal really applies… ever.

We have chores each day, called Community Responsibilities. Jobs like maintenance and grounds, janitorial, and preparing or cleaning up after meals. I clean up after lunch, doing the dishes and cleaning the dining area.

That reminds me. The food is FANTASTIC. Excitingly, all the leftovers end up in a communal fridge that I can get into whenever I want to. This food makes me happy.

We are assigned into small groups on Friday, as well as find out whom our 1 on 1 will be with. The staff assigns one of their members to meet with each student individually. I am excited to find out who my staff member will be!

Weekends are pretty lax I hear, although I have not experienced one yet. Saturdays may be filled by social activities and on Sundays, we carpool to different churches, as well as make a visit to the laundry mat.

Other things we have are movie nights, intercession time (where we pray for other countries), focus nights, worship and warfare session, Bible Hour, and outreach prep… none of which I will experience until next week.

This Saturday, we get to venture into Madison and see base there, Phos House, and do a scavenger hunt around Madison.
It is different not being special here. Allow me to explain, before you message me a rant about how we are all special and unique… blah blah blah. My grades and intelligence don’t make me stand out. I’m not the oldest, by a long shot. I’m actually one of the youngest. I don’t have to step up and be a leader among students. Everything I’ve done… others have, too. It’s not unique to have done a mission trip already or having been to a foreign country. It’s a new atmosphere, but a refreshing one. I can worry about myself, and not have any responsibilities different than anyone else. We aren’t graded on assignments, so there’s no pressure to get the A and be the best. I love the thought of losing what used to be my identity, and figuring out my God given strengths and finding my identity in Him.
Prayer requests:
-This is a facebook status from earlier today. It is a concept that God has laid on my heart recently, and I am not sure why. Please pray for me to find peace and security along this line of thought.
 
I no longer question God's love for me. I know it's insurmountable and beyond understanding. That He choose to die for me, despite how many times I would continue to hurt Him, because of His love for me. What I want to know, though, is have I pleased God in my actions? Have I glorified and honored Him? Am I following the path He laid out for me? God, are you happy with me? That's the reassurance I seek, because I know that no matter what I did, He will always love me... but does He like me?
-That I will allow myself to make mistakes and brush them off, not allowing them to distract me from my focus. It’s stupid things, like a stupid comment I made or forgetting a pen. I beat myself up over these stupid little things horribly, and I absolutely hate it. I know I need God’s help in changing this thought process.
-I allow myself to open up and cultivate relationships. That I won’t be afraid of what others think, because the only thing that matters is that I am doing what Christ wants me to do and I do it for His glory.

Funding:

Lecture Phase: YWAM records say I need 1695. I have some of this pledged, so I am really in need of about 500. Please help me meet this goal in the next few weeks!

Outreach: I am still in need of the full amount. That’s about 3500, although I don’t have a specific number. I will have more details about this once I pick where I will do my ministry.

God Bless!!
(Want to see pictures? Check out my facebook page! I'll get them on here soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment